Kaholee Refit | August 8, 2007

I returned to work on the upper settee back lockers this morning.  First, I installed the two small interior dividers on the port side, as well as a new piece at the after end of this shelf to close off an open area, and then I cut and fit the two interior dividers on the starboard side, and installed a couple more cleats as needed to secure the plywood front.

With that complete, I turned to the installation of the two fronts.  I applied a bead of wood glue to the cleats, and then screwed the fronts in place with bronze screws.  To finish off the fronts, and since they'll be painted, I applied a small epoxy fillet at the top and side seams; later, I'll install a piece of varnished mahogany trim to cover the bottom edge and the fasteners there, but that will come after painting.  When the epoxy cures, I'll sand it smooth and then begin the priming/painting process for these new lockers.


Next, I constructed a plywood cover for the aft end of the galley, to close off and cover the raw structure that remained exposed above the countertop.  I made a cardboard pattern, and then cut a piece of 1/4" Meranti to match the pattern.  After a trial fit, I removed the panel for sanding and painting before I permanently installed it.

Before knocking off for the day, I installed a dip tube on the holding tank, using some PVC pipe and fittings that I had on hand, and then epoxied the top in place on the tank, securing it with clamps for now.  I left the tank to cure overnight before continuing. 

I also did a bit more work on the coamings, predrilling the screw holes for the fasteners and ordering the necessary #14 x 2-1/2" fasteners and washers for the initial coaming installation.  I need the fasteners on hand so that I can press the coamings into the cockpit curve and secure them in their proper position, thereby enabling me to fabricate the forward coaming blocks.


Total Time on This Job Today:  6.25 hours

<Previous | Next>