Hattie Mae | Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My initial look at the boottop following yesterday's paint didn't highlight everything that was wrong with it.  I did a quick walk-around to take photos for the log, but didn't spend much time beyond that.

Taking a closer look when I went into the shop to work, however, I noticed that the paint was, to put it mildly, awful.  I don't know what happened, as the paint seemed to have gone on OK when I applied it, but the end result was totally unacceptable, with orange peel and sundry wrinkly areas.

I had planned on removing all the tape and so forth today, and preparing to paint the nonskid.  Instead, though, I decided to sand the boottop and respray it.  I sanded the surface smooth with 220 and 230 grit paper, cleaned up with solvent and tack rag, and then spray-applied two additional coats of white; the sanding had not gone through the paint at all, and with a good, smooth, solid white base already in place, the two additional coats made all the difference in the appearance of the boottop.



Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  N/C

<Previous | Next>