110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Hatsy II | Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I had to be away from the shop most of the morning, but spent the afternoon continuing the initial preparations to the hull.

I draped plastic across the decks and carefully taped it all around the rails, sealing off the deck areas from sanding dust and paint overspray throughout the remainder of the process.

With that complete, I cleaned the hull two separate times, first to remove dirt and debris, the second time using degreasing solvent, which effect I enhanced by scrubbing the hull with a Scotch-Brite pad before wiping off the residue with clean rags.

The top two photos above show portions of the hull in its original state, dating back to February 7; the photos thereafter show the initial cleaning results.




The hull, which appeared to be original gelcoat, was in generally fair condition, other than being dirty and oxidized, but there were several typical gouges from docking accidents and so forth, and an area on the port side amidships where the gelcoat was festooned with numerous dings in its surface, as if the boat had knocked repeatedly against a steel mooring eye.  These were all typical conditions and posed no particular preparation or repair concerns.

Later, I removed registration stickers, the plastic lettering on the transom, and what remained of the crown logo from the forward end of the cove stripe.  Next on the agenda was to sand the hull, and in preparation I set up tools and equipment for tomorrow's work session.

At the end of the afternoon, I applied a coat of fairing filler to the new lobster pot tab at the bottom of the keel, beginning to fair the tab cleanly into the surrounding area.

Total Time on This Job Today:  4.5  hours

<Previous | Next>