Equinox Project | Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I spent the morning removing all the tape and plastic, now that the spraying was complete.  Unfortunately, I can't show you pictures of the completed hull yet, as with the newly-raised and straightened waterline, and the remnants of the old striping beneath the new, things look too funny, so you'll have to wait till I paint the bottom.  I had hoped to bottom paint today, but didn't want to risk taping over the fresh boottop, and decided to wait another day.

Meanwhile, in the near-endless cycle of orders, I put together a necessary list of materials for the coming week or so of work, and sent the order off for delivery later in the week so I could keep the project moving.

With access once again to the interior, I looked forward to continuing the work there.  One of the first things I planned to do was install the two halves of the forward bulkhead, which had been out for refinishing but were now complete.  Since removal, I'd avoided walking on the decks forward, since the bulkheads help hold the deck molding in place without undue flexing.  Since some of my upcoming tasks might require me to be on deck at times, I thought it would be good to replace what bulkheads I could.

Because of interference with the chainplates, I couldn't yet install the after bulkhead sections, which would have to wait till I received the new chainplates, currently under fabrication and hopefully due fairly soon.

Before installing the bulkheads, however, I needed to address the cabin liner.  Over the years, teak oil had been spilled and splashed over the liner around the bulkheads, making a fair mess.  The liner was in otherwise good condition, and I found that washing with solvent removed the overspill successfully in most areas, and greatly improved the appearance. 




With the cleaning complete, I reinstalled the two forward bulkhead halves, and the starboard corner post; the corner post on the port side is attached to the front of the hanging locker, and wouldn't be back in place till later in the process.





Along with a variety of tentative and preliminary chores--testing the waters, if you will--and subsequent collection and/or ordering of necessary components, this wrapped up the day's work.

Total Time on This Job Today:  7.5 hours

<Previous | Next>