Equinox Project | Thursday, January 8, 2009

Late yesterday I received all the new through hulls, mounting flanges, and valves for the boat, and I spent a few minutes going through the materials now. I found one significant shipping error:  the supplier had sent me stainless steel 3/4" ball valves instead of the bronze ones I ordered, so I squared that away in order to obtain the correct valves in due course.  The remaining materials were all correct, and I set them aside for later installation.  For this job, I selected Groco's IBFV mounting flange adapters, which accept straight through hull threads on one side and standard tapered ball valve threads on the other--a great idea allowing for easy valve serviceability combined with the sturdiness of a properly through-bolted, flanged through hull fitting.

Using a long grabby tool, I cleaned the debris out of the deep bilge beneath the engine room, and vacuumed out the space.  Then, I sanded all the brightwork currently underway, and cleaned up from that.  Since I knew my plans for the rest of the day didn't include any dust-making work or work inside the boat, I went ahead and applied varnish to the interior trim and the various bulkheads, panels, and locker doors that I'd been working on.  With sufficient buildup on the interior trim and some of the panels, I switched to satin rubbed-effect varnish for this coat; the back side of the bulkheads that I started yesterday received an other coat of gloss, as they had several build coats to go.


During a morning conversation with the owner, we'd decided to raise the waterline even further than I had yesterday.  I had recalled one criterion from an earlier email, and he had recalled another, which led to a bit of confusion over exactly where the new line was to have been. In the end we decided to go a bit higher than my original attempt.  So, following the same procedure as yesterday, I struck a new line above the last.  After some assessment of the situation, I decided that it would be appropriate to go up another inch and a half, and struck the new waterline at that level; once again; for now, I left yesterday's tape in place.  I again marveled at the inconsistencies in the original molded stripes.  I deducted an hour of my time from today's efforts to reflect yesterday's taping error.



Total Time on This Job Today:  7.25 hours

<Previous | Next>