1975 Dufour 27 Refit | Thursday, September 25, 2008

I completed the bottom stripping during the morning, working on the appendages and, after rearranging the stands, the areas beneath the pads.  I discovered that the keel bulb was completely encapsulated in fiberglass and gelcoat, surprisingly, which accounted for the generally good adhesion of the paint.

The rudder featured a red gelcoat or other material that remained after removing all the bottom paint; beneath the red color lurked raw laminate, and I saw no reason to try and remove the red.



Afterwards, I used a steel rule to transfer the heights of the waterline and top and bottom edges of the boottop down onto the newly-sanded bottom, where I made reference marks for future use.  Later, at paint time, it should be simple to re-establish the proper position of these lines.


With the boottop and waterline marks now transferred, I continued the sanding and paint removal.  The topsides featured old Awlgrip, which was in poor condition, so I removed it all, through the primer and down to bare gelcoat, reaching a point a few inches above the boottop while standing on the floor.  This revealed fully the old, molded gelcoat boot top, which was several inches lower than the newer one and clearly would have been too low based on the scum line of where this boat floated. 

This wrapped up the day's work; I'd continue with the remainder of the hull after setting up staging in the near future.



Total Billable Time on This Job Today:  7.25  hours

<Previous | Next>