Circe | Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I continued the work on the new little chainplate lockers/covers.  With one side complete, other than a bit of fine-tuning, I turned to the opposite side and repeated the process.  The starboard side was close to being a mirror image of the port, allowing me to use the same cardboard template with some adjustments.

Eventually, both pieces fit adequately. 


To continue, I installed some hardwood support cleats on the inside edges of the after bulkheads of the locker, using glue and screws.


Since the panels would be permanent, I laid out some good-sized access holes, to be later covered with doors, so that the chainplates could be installed, inspected, and maintained going forward.  I laid out openings in pencil that I thought would be of adequate size, and then temporarily installed the two panels to double-check the new openings' layout and to ensure that my layout lines were plumb.

Afterwards, I cut out the openings and cleaned and sanded the panels before installation.  I installed the panels with glue and bronze screws, and some epoxy adhesive along their top and bottom edges.  On the starboard side, I accidentally drove one of the screws right through the back of the panel, so to hold the panel while the glue and epoxy cured, I replaced the screw with a temporary one and a large washer.


When the glue had cured enough, later in the day, I removed the masking tape and the one temporary screw, and installed bungs in the screw holes.


Preparing for the final installation of the electrical locker's front panel, which I hoped to do soon once I determined how to lay out the panel for access and installation of various components, I took the opportunity now to drill several large holes through the aft bulkhead, inside the area where the panel would go.  This area would be inaccessible--or at least very difficult to access--later.  After drilling what I thought was more than enough holes for current and future wiring needs, I lined all the holes with short pieces of hose as chafe protection, which I glued in place.

It was a good afternoon to finally take a trailer load of the demolition debris from this boat to a (relatively) nearby landfill/recycling center/transfer station/solid waste facility (choose the descriptor you like best; I call it the dump); the old bulkheads and settees and galley had only been sitting in my trailer since July.  The various pieces removed from the boat totaled around 500 lb.

Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  5.25 hours

<Previous | Next>