Bolero Project | Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I started the day by water-washing and then sanding the bulkhead tabbing to remove sharp edges and so forth.  After cleaning up the resultant mess, I turned to top edges of the bulkhead, where they intersected the cabin trunk sides.  These areas needed to be secured and the seam covered, and also needed to be waterproof to prevent water entering the cabin.

I chose to make some simple trim pieces to cover and secure these areas.  I cut a 3 angle on one edge of a 1-1/2" wide piece of mahogany (to match the angle between bulkhead and cabin trunk), and then made a few more cuts as necessary to properly size and fit the pieces, starting on the inside of the cabin since I had temporary braces clamped on the outside to hold the bulkhead in position.  I still had some work to do on the bulkhead areas directly beneath the sidedecks, and couldn't wrap trim into those areas just yet, but to allow for the future trim I positioned the vertical trim pieces using a piece of scrap as a guide to properly locate the miter cut at the bottom ends.


         


I drilled and countersunk for screws, and then removed the pieces for final shaping and sanding.  I milled a roundover on one edge, and sanded the pieces smooth.  Then, I installed them in a bed of epoxy adhesive after protecting the nearby bulkhead with tape.  I secured each piece with bronze screws into the bulkhead, and clamped to the cabin side to hold it in place and allow me to remove the temporary blocks on the after side.


         


With the forward cleats in place, and before installing the after ones, it was time to cut the final curve on the coamings to transition properly into the cabin trunk.  Using a straightedge clamped to the coaming, I extended a line forward following the existing coaming line for a reference, and marked a point 1" aft of the bulkhead (to allow for the trim) for the top end of the curve.  Using one of the elliptical port frames as a template, I chose an curve that worked and marked it on the coaming; then I cut the curve and sanded and rounded the edges to match the adjacent areas.


         

         


Afterwards, I repeated the basic cleat design and installation process on the aft side of the bulkhead, sandwiching the plywood between the new cleats/trim.  I used longer screws to secure the aft cleats so that they would penetrate through the bulkhead and into the interior trim.


         


To wrap things up for the day, I cut a series of bungs (1/2" and 3/8") and plugged all the screw holes in the coamings, cabin trunk, and trim.


    


Total Time on This Job Today:  7.5 hours

<Previous | Next>