110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Home  Contact Lackey Sailing  |  Conversion Projects  |  Project Logs  |  Tim's Projects  |  Flotsam

Ashantee
| Wednesday, April 22, 2015

After sanding the brightwork to prepare for another coat later in the day, and cleaning up thereafter, I worked on some miscellaneous tasks still on the list.

The cabin sole featured a couple small areas of damage, one in the forward cabin, where it appeared the veneer had broken away, exposing a rough surface beneath--or maybe this was some attempt at filler?  It was essentially flush with the surrounding areas.  I wasn't sure how to effectively deal with this just yet, but fortunately it was in an out-of-the-way location.  I continued to mull over what to do here.





There was a crack in the passageway where the veneer wrapped up onto the hull, where there was apparently a void beneath that, over time, had broken from lack of support.  To stabilize the area and help prevent worsening, I masked around the gap and  installed some epoxy in the crack and beneath the surrounding area as much as possible.  Later in the day, I removed the tape.

         

The owner mentioned that the individual sailing instruments in his networked electronics system were not displaying their data properly on the chartplotter display located at the helm.  I spent a little time looking into this issue without immediate resolution.  Without any current data input to the instruments, it was hard to tell whether the dashed displays on the plotter where data should be was because no information was being sent to the plotter, or because the instruments were receiving no data with the boat on the hard and the wind instruments disconnected.  In any event, I had a few more things to check that I'd look into later.

Preparing to change the engine raw water pump impeller for the season, I discovered that the impeller was held in place on its shaft with a snap ring (I'd love to have to deal with that under duress out on the water).  At one time I had a set of snap ring pliers, but I couldn't locate them now (fortunately I almost never need them), so I had to postpone the simple replacement of the impeller till I could get a new set of pliers for the job.

         

I unmasked the toerail at the stem, and reinstalled the anchor on its roller and with its support bracket on the port side.

    

The owner asked if I could make a wooden sign with the boat's documentation number for the space beneath the companionway, where apparently there had once been a similar sign with the boat's name (now changed).  I'd never done this before, so it was a new experience.

For this task, I purchased a router template kit that was well-designed and easy to use, and featured two-part templates for various letters and numbers so the final product could be seamless, without breaks often found in stencil lettering.  I connected the pieces required for the first pass and secured them to a teak board, then used a router with a collar and a special bit to follow the template and plow out the first sections.


Replacing various pieces of the setup with the second set of templates, designed to make the remaining segments of the figures in question, I performed the second pass.  I was pleased with how well the templates worked, especially on my first try.

         

Afterwards, I trimmed the piece as needed to fit, sanded it smooth, and applied a sealer coat of varnish to all sides.

    

Finally, I applied another coat of varnish to the coamings, handrails, and other parts.

         

         

 


Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  5.5
Hours

<Previous | Next>

 


0600 Weather Report:
25, clear.  Forecast for the day:  Partly sunny, chance of showers, 58