110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Waanderlust Project--Phase II | Friday, May 20, 2011

With plans for a short day, it seemed the perfect opportunity to throw together a couple temporary covers for the lazarette hatch opening and forward hatch, both of which needed a reliable means to keep water out.  We didn't want to take the time now to build the actual covers, but couldn't leave the openings yawning either.

From various bits of scrap plywood, I built two simple, rough hatches that I could set in place over these openings when the boat moved back outside between work phases.  I glued the sides of the covers in place with epoxy, worrying more about ensuring a good watertight seal than good looks or finesse, and set the covers aside to cure.

Sometime later, I planned to apply some paint to protect the epoxy from the sun, and extend the life of these covers.  I thought they might even come in handy going forward should the real hatches be removed for winter maintenance, etc.


Having deemed the varnish on the interior deadlight frames complete, I removed the masking  tape.  Next week, I'd return to the construction of the exterior frames.


Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  1 hour

<Previous | Next>