Kaholee Refit | January 3, 2007

After a series of unrelated office tasks, I got back to work on the boat.  I finished up the deck sanding in the cockpit, which was deceptively small; in reality, the myriad surfaces took nearly as long to sand as an entire sidedeck.  Sanding in enclosed spaces like a cockpit well is always the messiest, since the well traps the dust and debris, which then ends up being swirled around continually by the sanding machines.

Once the cockpit was sanded, with the molded nonskid and paint removed, the heaviest portion of the sanding was complete.  While I had plenty of additional sanding ahead in the near future, as I moved onto repairing old hardware holes in the deck and other fiberglass chores, it was time to clean up a bit, as I hadn't cleaned up the shop bay since I began the interior grinding last month.  With abnormally high outdoor temperatures (45 in January?  What makes it so weird isn't that it's warm on one day or another, but how long it's been so abnormally warm.), it was a perfect opportunity to open up the big door and sweep and blow out the shop and boat.  What a mess.

During the afternoon, I took 30 minutes to build a rough mockup of a fuel tank designed by another Triton owner, so that I could determine if the tank as designed would fit Kaholee.  I used scrap plywood and hot melt glue to put together the very basic template, which I fit into place beneath the cockpit.  The original fuel tank, still in place for the moment, prevented the mockup from fitting properly, so clearly my next task was the long-procrastinated tank emptying and removal.

Total Time on This Job Today:  4 hours

<Previous | Next>