Mae | Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Over the past couple weeks, an hour here or an hour there, I wrapped up the companionway work. With the boat inside, I installed the wooden rails and metal companionway hatch slides, and finally the sliding hatch itself. At some point after that, and needing the shop space for something else, I moved the boat back outdoors for storage.
Then, I turned to the swashboards. They needed widening to fit the opening, as I mentioned months ago, since for whatever reason the companionway trim, when reinstalled, ended up wider than the boards themselves. I cut the ends of the existing boards and glued on extensions to both sides for an even appearance, then sanded everything smooth once the glue (epoxy) dried. After test-fitting and fine-tuning, I prepared the boards for stain (to match the existing deck trim) and several coats of varnish.