110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Home  Contact Lackey Sailing  |  Conversion Projects  |  Project Logs  |  Tim's Projects  |  Flotsam

Aventura | Friday, October 9, 2015

I removed and set aside the sand weights and plastic that I'd used to secure the new core, and, with the core exposed, lightly water-washed and sanded as needed to remove any adhesive ridges and the like to prepare the core for fiberglassing.  I also sanded the mast step area and other deck patches (instrument holes and water fill) as needed.

         

         


Once I'd vacuumed up the sanding debris, I used paper to create patterns for the new fiberglass deck skin, and afterwards filled the kerfs and any small voids around the edges with thickened epoxy (oops--no photos of that stage).

         

    

Down at the bench, I cut two layers of woven fiberglass for each of the recored areas--one layer extending to the edges of the ground flanges, the second layer about an inch smaller on each side.

    

Before jumping into an afternoon of laminating, I worked on the poop deck to fill as needed the outer edges with structurally-thickened epoxy, then installed the core pieces I'd cut earlier, covering with plastic and weighting down as needed.


Now I wet out and installed the two layers of fiberglass on each of the newly-recored areas, plus the mast step.

         

     

To round out the day, I applied a coat of epoxy fairing filler to the now-patched old instrument holes and water tank deck fill. 

    
 

Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  4.5 hours

<Previous | Next>

0600 Weather Report:
35, mostly cloudy.  Forecast for the day:  rain, high in the 50s.